Alongside the development of its business, Pernod Ricard is committed to sharing values with local communities and its business partners, building sustainable win-win relationships.
Pernod Ricard, through the diversity of its brands and its decentralized model, is deeply rooted in local communities. The Group wants to contribute to their development through its activity, with a special focus on promoting entrepreneurship, the way to value creation, and on sharing local cultures, a way to support openness, respect and human diversity. Pernod Ricard would also like to engage its partners in the Group's responsibility approach based on mutual respect.
This engagement is driven by five main actions:
- Contribute to the development of our local communities.
- Promote entrepreneurship, as a way to create value and wealth.
- Share the diversity of local cultures.
- Encourage our partners to respect sustainable development principles.
- Create value and share it with our business partners and shareholders.
DEVELOP LOCAL COMMUNITIES
In countries where Pernod Ricard operates, the Group is committed to helping local communities benefit from its business growth in line with two main goals.
Enhance local economic development by developing skills in local communities through training programmes, facilitating access to education and providing employment, especially in agriculture, through the purchase of around 2.3 million tonnes of agricultural raw materials.
- Improve social and sanitary conditions by funding social projects as a way to enhance people’s employability and boost the economy and setting up employee volunteering programmes in support of social initiatives.
- Pernod Ricard India helps to set up dispensaries to provide free medical services and undertakes prevention campaigns to raise awareness among local communities and prevent diseases.
- Since 2011, Pernod Ricard New Zealand has taken part in a programme aimed at training inhabitants of Marlborough in New Zealand in the wine business. In a region of rising unemployment, the subsidiary is thus creating employment opportunities for the local population.
As one of Pernod Ricard’s key values, shared internally among all its employees, the entrepreneurial spirit is also promoted externally as a driver for local economic development.
The Group encourages the younger generation to start businesses. Pernod Ricard trains and funds young entrepreneurs, provides financial support to non-profit organisations that promote entrepreneurship and helps people without access to education to develop entrepreunarial skills.
The Group encourages the creation of local businesses and help improve business efficiency.
- In Vietnam, Pernod Ricard, in partnership with the APPEL NGO, helps 40 students who have chosen an entrepreneurship course with a 3-year scholarship and funding of initial set-up costs for three award-winning start-up projects.
- Yerevan Brandy Company, the Armenian subsidiary of Pernod Ricard, provides entrepreneurial support to its grape suppliers in the Tavush region. By assisting in the creation of a cooperative and providing appropriate training, the Group is helping wine growers to achieve independence and improve the stability of their income.
ENCOURAGE PARTNERS TO RESPECT SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
The willingness to lead suppliers towards sustainable practices serves two purposes, first promoting responsible practices beyond the company’s immediate scope and secondly, strengthening ties and building long-term relationships with suppliers. This uses three steps.
- Define a group-wide sustainable procurement policy
- Get suppliers and subcontractors to commit to specific sustainable requirements
- Evaluate, monitor suppliers’ practices and help them to improve their social and environmental performance.
Pernod Ricard has developed a partnership with the French company EcoVadis to assess its most at-risk suppliers. Based on a collaborative approach, the rating system is used to assess suppliers, facilitate the sharing of indicators and information and provide a meaningful analysis. By March 2014, 252 suppliers had been assessed. The evaluation phase is designed to be followed by an action phase to help Pernod Ricard’s suppliers improve their practices.
SHARE OUR CULTURES
Pernod Ricard acts to promote and provide access to art and culture within the countries where it operates, as a way to drive dialogue and mutual creative initiatives with communities.
- Support art and design, in line with Pernod Ricard’s spirit of innovation by promoting new talents, sponsoring major contemporary institutions and encouraging artistic collaboration and experimental approaches.
- Make culture accessible to as many people as possible.
-Ανάδειξη Highlight local cultures, value their traditions, art and lifestyle
Pernod Ricard has contributed extensively to the Virtual Centre Pompidou project (as a partner since 1997), which is made up of 450,000 digital works and documents.